Wednesday 23 June 2021

Examples from the Ephesian church

 

I know your works, your labour, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; and you have persevered and have patience, and have laboured for My name’s sake and have not become weary. – Revelation 2.2-3

 

Jesus starts His letters to the church with a letter to the church at Ephesus. This church is mostly praised. Jesus said

 

I know your works

I know your labour

I know your patience

I know your stand against sin

I know you check out false teachers

I know your perseverance

 

What a wonderful list of traits and what a challenge to us. How do we measure up to the standard set by Ephesus? Could God say that He can commend us in there area? This church was not perfect as we will see, but they had a lot of the basics right. They were doing a good work. They were patient in waiting on God. They did not allow sin or falsd doctrine.

 

And the persevered.

 

It’s that last one that really sticks out. Sometimes all we can do is keep on keeping on, but at least we have not given up.

 

Let’s strive with the spirit of the Ephesians. Let’s stick with it, but lets not fail where they did.

 

 

No comments: