Sunday 1 March 2020

Christ is preached

Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel. What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice. – Philippians 1.15-18

As hard is it is to imagine Paul had a lot of opposition even in the church. We had preachers what attacked him and his ministry. Paul had some preachers who preached just to add to Paul’s ministry out of envy and strife. Others did preach out of love, but one thing mattered to Paul – that Christ was preached.

He did not seem to absorbed at the affairs of this world. He wasn’t bothered by those who opposed him. Good, bad, or indifferent all that mattered was that they preached the gospel. I don’t like to be not liked. I don’t like it when preachers are contentious and seem only out for self-glory. But, if they preach Christ I don’t a have a whole lot to say. If they preach error – I must stand. But if I don’t like them or the way they do things and they preach Jesus I ought to rejoice.

That takes a lot of pride swallowing. My pride though is not what matters. What matters is that Christ is preached and I rejoice, and like Paul, commit that I will continue to rejoice.

No comments: