Friday 6 March 2020

Others

If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. – Philippians 2.1-4

I like me. I really do. I like being first in the queues. I like being first in traffic (which cost me recently. I like my comfort. I don’t like being disturbed. I don’t really mind helping others but it is not always my priority.

I like to look out foe number one – and mostly number one is sadly, me.

But Paul says that if there us any love, any fellowship, and compassion that we are to be of one mind and that that mind is one what always seeks to put others first. We see it described as the mind of Christ in the next verse.

It means I don’t do anything out of strife or self-glorification. It means I act with a humble and lowly mind always looking out for the other person first.


I used to see a little saying that went to only way to real joy was to see people in this order:
Jesus
Others
Yourself

I think that’s brilliant. If I am always out to satisfy me I am never going to be satisfied. When I focus on others I have the sheer joy of knowing that I have done something that has at least made for a better day for them, and maybe has helped make a better life.

Others are more important than me. I like how the verse finishes – don’t worry about your own stuff alone – think about others as well.

Others Lord, yes others. Let this my motto be. Help me to live for others, that I might live like thee.

No comments: