Friday 27 March 2020

The arena of the mind

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you. – Philippians 4.8-9

Our mind is where the battle really takes place. One writer calls this the arena of the mind. We all know that our minds are like a great sports stadium where two sides square off against each other. We can choose which thoughts to win the battle.

Our thought life will determine the rest of our lives. Our minds are a busy place and if we don’t keep it under control our actions are going to follow. God wants us to direct our thoughts to things that are

True
Honest
Just
Pure
Lovely
Of good report
Virtuous
Praiseworthy

My problem is that too often my thoughts are

Oh no, I’m having car trouble and it might be really bad
We’ve never been able to buy a house, why am I going to do when we get old
I have a car test nest week
I hope this pain is normal
How is our church going to get through the virus thingy
That person really made me angry
What’s going to happen to the economy after this virus thing

I look at those two lists and I don’t have to wonder very long to find out why I don’t have peace at times.

Every moment of every day brings a battle for control of our thoughts. We can allow them to be controlled by the world, the flesh, and the devil – or we can allow them to be controlled by the Holy Spirit. It’s up to you and me.

No comments: