Wednesday 4 March 2020

As suits the gospel


Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; - Philippians 1.27



That your lifestyle may be worthy of the gospel. What does that mean? How does that apply to you and me today? What does it really mean to live a live that shows the worth of the gospel?

Does my life fit with the gospel? The gospel is the good news that Jesus came to earth, took on the role of a man, became as a servant, was obedient to God’s plan, He went to the cross to pay for our sins because of His great love for us and He was raised in newness of life.

How does my life pair up with His?

The gospel required Jesus’ humility and love and sacrifice and obedience and putting others first and kindness and selflessness and compassion. A life that is worthy of the gospel will reflect those same things to the world around us. There is such a thing as ‘cheap grace’ but it is not what is sounds like for grace is never cheap. Cheap grace is when we cheapen grace in our lives by not reflecting its cost by the lives we live.

Grace was free to me – but it is of greater worth than anything else on heaven or earth. I have to ask myself if, when people see me, do they see a life worthy of Jesus’ dying on the cross for me? Do they see a life worthy of His shed blood? Do they see a life worthy of God’s eternal plan for salvation laid out before the foundation of the world?

The way I live is not about me. I am not really free to live any way I want. I want to live a gospel worthy life. I can do it only by the very grace that saved me.

No comments: