Monday 16 March 2020

Epaphroditus

Yet I supposed it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, and companion in labour, and fellowsoldier, but your messenger, and he that ministered to my wants. For he longed after you all, and was full of heaviness, because that ye had heard that he had been sick. For indeed he was sick nigh unto death: but God had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow. I sent him therefore the more carefully, that, when ye see him again, ye may rejoice, and that I may be the less sorrowful. Receive him therefore in the Lord with all gladness; and hold such in reputation: Because for the work of Christ he was nigh unto death, not regarding his life, to supply your lack of service toward me. – Philippians 2.25-30

Sometimes I just like to stop and reflect on Paul’s heart for others. His affection toward Timothy is pretty well know, but there are places where we can see his affection and concern. Epaphroditus is one of those people.

Paul called Epaphroditus ‘my brother, my co-worker, my fellow soldier, your messenger, and my helper.’ He ‘didn’t regard his own life, but only thought of service.’

It is exciting to meet people like Epaphroditus. I am preaching through 2 Timothy and just recently we met Onisiphorus. In Romans 16 we read of Phoebe, who helped Paul and many others. These kind of people may never be known to general history or even most Christians.

Though these folks are not ‘famous’ I have to wonder how the church would be if not for people like these both then and now. God uses His Pauls and Timothys and Peters, James, and Johns.

Thank God though that He also uses His Phoebes and Epaphrodituses and Onisiphorouses to do His work.

And He uses people like you and me who are just willing to serve.

No comments: