Saturday 14 March 2020

How are you?


But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timotheus shortly unto you, that I also may be of good comfort, when I know your state. For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state. – Philippians 2.19-20

“How are you?’ That’s a common question which, to be honest, most of us never expect and answer to or really want to hear it when it comes. Most of the time we have already turned our attention elsewhere by the the time the words come out. It has just became a way of greeting without a real expected response.

When Paul said ‘how are you’ though it meant so much more. Paul was so concerned about the Philippians that he sent Timothy to find out how they were doing. He would only rest at ease when he knew.

As a pastor I understand that kind of feeling. When our folks are ill or out of sorts or away from church or out of contact for a while I am concerned and I truly want to now how they are. I feel sometimes like I am being invasive, but I truly care for the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of people in our church. As the under shepherd of this little flock I hate it when they are sick or hurt or are wondering.

Not obviously that is part of pastoral care, but I think there is a principle that we all ought to have that kind of care for each other.  

When we think of each other ‘how are you’ or ‘howya keeping’ or whatever it should be more than just a casual greeting. It should be a sincere expression of concern for the well being of others. We need to take the time to stop and find out our each other are. 

No comments: