Sunday 29 March 2020

Contentment and strength

 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity. Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. – Philippians 4.10-13

Paul rejoiced even in the midst of his troubles. He had learned the key lesson of not looking at his circumstances – but instead to be content no matter what he was facing.

Paul says here that when he had or didn’t have, when he was under pressure and not under pressure, when he had all he needed and when he didn’t, when he was full and when he was hunger he would choose to be content because God doesn’t and change and that he could do all he needed because God would strengthen him.

Contentment is hard, but being discontent is constantly condemned in the word of God. Like Paul our ability to be content is based on our ability to rely on the strength of God.

We can accomplish all things for God is His strength. We can be content when we realise that we have all the strength we need to bear up though even the worse circumstances. I don’t have to want more than I have. I don’t have to desire a change of circumstances. I can be content because God will see me through this.

No comments: