Sunday 8 March 2020

Robbery

Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. – Philippians 2.5-8

How many times do we hear things like ‘that’s not fair,' or 'I was robbed!!" It often refers to a sense that we were deprived of something we thought we received or had to do something we didn’t want to do.

In sports we might even hear the phrase ‘I was robbed!’ We don’t like it when we feel like we have been robbed.

That notion of robbery is what this verse is talking about. Jesus did not think he had been robbed of anything when He came to earth. This deity was not something He felt like He had to cling on to. He yielded His ‘rights’ for us.

That’s a challenge to me. I don’t like to feel robbed of my rights.

That’s sad too. When I look at what He was ‘robbed’ of how can I even think to compare?

No comments: