Thursday 12 March 2020

Complaining

Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;- Philippians 2.14-15

I have been blessed with many good co-workers. Some of them have been Christians. There is great joy and fellowship in working with another believer. Many years ago I had a Christian co-worker named Tim. We worked together designing and building and installing heating and air conditioning ductwork. Sometimes it could be very difficult and dirty work and it can be easy to get frustrated and let that frustration be expressed in complaining and whinging. One day, as I was particularly frustration, Tim popped out with the words ‘let everything be done without murmurings and disputing.’ At first I wanted to slap him, but the I saw the humour of the situation and we had a great laugh.

While that is kind of a silly story it always come to mind when I see this passage. It does remind me of the very serious way that God hates complaining. Complaining may not seem like a very big deal, but it really is because it is the outward expression of discontent. It means we are happy with where God has us or what He has called us to do. In the Old Testament God poured out His wrath on the complaining Jews.

It can be really hard not to complain at times because sometimes the reality is that out life can be like being in a dirty, smelly, tight crawl space under a house and battling with a piece of ductwork that just barely fits. Life can just seem worthy of murmuring and complaining and whinging and ‘disputing’ at times.

But lets think about it. Who put me where I am? Ministry in Ireland has been hard. Finances can be tough in the this ministry. We have not been able to have things and do things others have done, and we are getting to an age when it’s not going to happen now unless God works a miracle. I try not to complain out loud, but inside I still battle with my flesh and wonder why.

And then I think of all that God has done and realise that even materially we are better off than the vast majority of the world around us. God loves me and He meets my needs and I have decent health and clothes to wear and I have a comfortable place to lay my head at night. It may not be mine, but I have a roof over my head. I have food to eat. I have an amazing wife and wonderful family and a lovely church. I have money to pay my bills and I am totally debt free – I ‘owe no man anything.’ I have a car to drive and can afford to even do a few extra things.

When I complain I am telling God that all that is not enough. I want more. He has not given me what I want. I am telling God that He has let me down. It means I am not content with what God has given me or where He has placed me. If I want to be really hard on myself it means that I think I know better than Him.

No wonder God hates complaining so much.

No comments: