Sunday 15 March 2020

All seek their own

For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's. – Philippians 2.21

Everyone seeks their own. That sounds like a pretty depressing statement, hard to take at face value, and pretty harsh by Paul. It sounds like it might be a general judgement as a whole.

But I don’t think Paul means it that way. It seems to me that that is man’s natural inclination and a battle that everyone must fight. We all do seem to want what we want. That’s the natural thing. All you have to do is to look at a baby or a child and see the inborn self-centredness that is a part of our natural make-up.

We have to be made aware. Since I tend in my flesh to think of me I have to choose to think of the things of Christ. I have to choose to think of others.

All men seek their own, but God’s people are to seek the things that are Christ’s. My daily goal ought to be to seek Christ and His way. Instead of me I ought to seek Christ in me.

No comments: