Saturday 29 February 2020

The furtherance of the gospel

But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel; So that my bonds in Christ are manifest in all the palace, and in all other places; And many of the brethren in the Lord, waxing confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear. – Philippians 1.12-14

Why would Paul go through all he went through? Why would he go through arrests and attacks and shipwrecks and snake bites and all those troubles?  Paul was willing to put up with all he put up with for the furtherance of the gospel. From the time he got saved he put life and limb at risk to tell people about Jesus. When I read things like this I get really convicted about how little I am willing to go through for the furtherance of the gospel. Paul never begrudged what he had to do because he did every to see people come to Christ.

I don’t like trials. I don’t hard times. I don’t like when I have to do without. I don’t like when things don’t go my way. I don’t like rejection. Those kind of things can get me down and discouraged and defeated. I hate to admit it, but I have considered just quitting because of those kinds of things.

The thing we have to remember is that there is an eternal purpose that overrides everything else along the way. I am called to further the gospel. My own circumstances don’t really matter in the end as long as I am striving to further the gospel of Christ to those around me.

Paul showed Christ in his chains and in every other place. Oh, that I even had a smidgen of that boldness.

No comments: