Tuesday 4 February 2020

Don't be drunk with wine

And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, - Ephesians 5.18

I know what I am about to say is not going to gain me many friends. It is a stand for which I have taken the most criticism from my brethren, but strangely never from worldly friends. I have been accused of being a legalistic and a liberty denier over it. It is not about what I say about others, but about a choice I made for me

Are you ready? I don’t drink alcohol – full stop. I know the Bible only forbids drunkenness, but there is more than meets the eye here for me.

Drunkenness is ruin. We see the effects all the time. Nothing should ever have control over us but the Holy Spirit and alcohol always has that potential. I have seen the ruin that drunkenness creates. I have been there in the past. Drunkenness is not just a sin that affects the sinner, it affects everyone around. Drunkenness affects familes and friendships and other relationships. Drink driving kills. Drunkenness destroys homes. Drunkenness plays a role in many crimes. It is indeed dissipation. Because of all that I ask myself why even bother with that first drink with all it can lead to.

Alcohol, if not carefully controlled, takes control. As believers the only control over us should be when we are filled and controlled by God’s Holy Spirit. When He controls our lives He produces love and joy and peace and patience and gentleness and goodness.

Why dabble with something that opens the door to ruin? When Christians choose to use their liberty to have a drink they must be willing to let those who don't make that choice the same liberty.

No comments: