Monday 1 October 2018

The praise of men

Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue: For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God – John 12.42-43

Here is a verse I can identify with. As bad as it is, I find myself just like the ‘chief rulers’ described here who had believed in Jesus, been saved in our words today, but did not confess Him openly.

When I think about the fact about how little and how seldom I ‘confess Him’ before others I am ashamed. I am especially ashamed because I think at the root of ot my problem is the same as theirs – I love the praise of men more than I love the praise of God. What man thinks of me is more important than what God thinks of me.

That’s a terrible thing isn’t it?

After what Jesus did for me how can I care more about what others think than I do what He thinks?

So often these things come down to one thing – my own stinking pride. I really don’t want people to dislike me or think poorly of me. I like to be liked and I like people to talk kindly about me. I don’t want people to consider me some kind of religious freak. I don’t them to dislike me because of my faith.

So I love their praise more than God’s. Sadly, I fear that I am not the only one who is in that situation.

May God forgive us and give us strength to speak openly of Him.

No comments: