Wednesday 24 October 2018

Believing without seeing

Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” – John 20.29

I can’t even imagine what it must have been like to be among the disciples in those early days after Jesus rose from the dead. There must have been some skepticism. We know that there was at least one serious case of it because one of the Twelve just did not really believe that it could possibly be true.

Thomas, the man whose name is almost universally used as an idiom for a doubter, just couldn’t accept it. The very first ‘Doubting Thomas’ just had to have some proof. ’I won’t believe it unless I can touch the wounds and see for myself.’ Jesus called Thomas to His side and said ‘here, don’t just look but put your fingers in the wounds.’

After all that Thomas said ‘Lord, now I believe.’

‘Jesus replied ‘you have believed Me because you have seen.’ That was great, at least Thomas believed.’ But Jesus continued ‘blessed are those who have not seen and still believed.’

Its that believing without seeing that is the tricky part. Its hard to believe what you can’t see. I have a couple of things in my life that I cant see the answer too, and yet the Bible says God will take care of, but I want to see the answer. I want to see.

Lord give me the strength to believe even when I cannot see.

No comments: