Sunday 7 October 2018

My Teacher

These things I have spoken to you while being present with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. – John 14.25-26

This whole section on the ministry of the Holy Spirit is special. It is a comfort because it was going to be hard to see Jesus go and they must have been afraid. What were they going to do without Him. They often called Jesus ‘Teacher’ but who would teach them now?

Teaching is special to me. I think that among all the human relationships the teacher-student relationship is among the most special. I realise that a lot of people think that is passé and that today teachers are often see as co-learners with their students and that we are on life voyage of learning together and all that. I agree with some of that but at the end of the day people need teachers no matter what we are doing. We can be the most self-taught of all but there is all a need for instruction and guidance.

So we have teachers. I am biased, but I think that teaching is the most important role that we can play.

So it makes sense that Jesus would make sure that the disciples would not be teacherless.

The Holy Spirit, the helper will teach you and help you remember My words.

We don’t have to go through this life like the Ethiopian eunuch searching for the truth and waiting for a teacher to come along. Every moment of every day we have our own personal tutor walking within us to costantly teach us the word of God and to give us those timely reminders of what Jesus has said and what He is doing for us.

That’s why we are told later on not to quench the spirit of God or to neglect Him or to resist Him.

True teachers love their students. There can be no truer teacher than the Holy Spirit of God. I make mistakes as a teacher. I can give bad advice. I can guide poorly despite my best efforts, but He will never fail as my teacher

No comments: