Saturday 6 October 2018

Another Helper

And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. – John 14.16-17

Jews were not unaware of the Spirit of God. We see the Holy Spirit popping up in the Old Testament in a variety of ways and a situation. He seems to come on the scene on special occassions and when there are special needs.  He fills people at times and empowers them to do special tasks.

But now He is about to take on a whole new ministry. When Jesus leaves the world the Holy Spirit is going to come on the scene on a full time basis.

Jesus said that He was leaving, but that He was going to leave the Holy Spirit behind as a Helper and a Comforter.

Because He left the Comforter behind even today we can rest in and depend on His ability for comfort and help and courage in the days of our trouble. I can’t even begin to number the times in the forty some years of my salvation that I have known the comfort of the Holy Spirit. He comforts through His inspired written word. He  brings it to life as I read it and He reminds me of it when I need it. In times of struggle and turmoil His word comes to me to comfortably and encourage me. He is my Helper and thank God for His always help.

No comments: