Wednesday 10 October 2018

Abiding

I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples. – John 15.5-8

This is an amazing section of scripture that is worth a lot more time than I am going to give it. All this about Jesus being the Vine and us being branches and about how we can’t do anything without Him is amazing. We can’t do anything without Him – just think about that for a minute – nothing. That means that everything I do is because of Him.

But I want to look at a little later in the passage. ‘If you abide in Me and My words abide in you, you will get what you desire and it will be done. My Father is glorified so that we can bear much fruit.’

If you abide in Me
If My words abide in You

What does that mean? I like the word abide here. It is not just to reside, but to settle in and reallt take root and be at home.

The question whether or not we do that. Where do we abide? Are we more comfortable in the world or are we more comfortable in Christ? Which is our home?

The we need to ask ourselves if the word of God is truly settled and at home in our hearts. What do you and I allow the abide in our hearts? Does the world and its ways abide in our lives? If so that is what guides us. If the word of God abides there then that is what guides and controls us.

Do we constantly abide in Him?
Does His word constantly abide in us?

No comments: