Monday 8 October 2018

My peace I leave

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. – John 14.27

Every single day I check my news feed and try to catch up on the news and I watch BBC News in the morning. I fear that I am a bit of a news freak and if I am not careful I could watch it all day.

The bad thing is that most news we see theses days I find very troubling. There is not much to feel good about with all of the natural disasters and crime and corrupt politics and scandals and human tragedy and warfare it is hard to even imagine a world of peace or a world at peace. Peace is the last thing we will find whether it is Sky or RTE or BBC or CNN or Fox. Peace doesn’t sell for one thing and there isnt a whole lot of it for another. There have been loads of promises – but they have always fallen through.

Jesus knows our desire for peace. The world cries out ‘peace, peace’ but there is no peace. We can’t find it on our own, so He says ‘My peace I leave with you. It is not like the world’s peace, it is My peace.’

In the midst of turmoil Jesus leaves peace to His followers. It is the peace that passes all understanding.

How then do we live lives full of inner turmoil and doubts and fears? We have that peace available as we learn to truly rely in Him instead of our circumstances.We know the world fails – so we must learn to trust Him. We can’t have lives full of cares, but instead bring our requests to Him with thanksgiving in our hearts so that peace that passes all understanding can preserve our hearts and minds in Christ.

No comments: