Sunday 21 October 2018

I pray for them

I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. – John 17.20-23

While Jesus is praying for His disciple before He leaves the world we find one of the most amazing things I have ever read. As He prays here He says ‘I am not just praying for these here, but for all who are going to believe through theirs words.

Did you get that? First of all it is clear that people are going to believe through the words of His followers. That is how the gospel is going to spread. It was and is up to those who follow Jesus.

But think about it. When Jesus prayed here He prayed for us! Way back then Jesus prayed for everyone who would be saved as His message spread, including you and me!

That ought to be of such great comfort to us. When we struggle with the world, the flesh, and the devil today we can do so in the comfort that Jesus is praying for us. It’s great to have others praying for us, but what an amazing blessing to know that we are in His prayers!

So rest assured – the One who prays in the perfect will of God prays for you and me.

No comments: