Friday 19 October 2018

One

And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them. Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are. – John 17.10-11

The trinity of God, or His Tri-unity is a great mystery. 1+1+1=1. That doesn’t make sense to our human analytical minds.

Okay, that’s hard enough. But imagine this. Jesus goes on to pray that His followers may be one as He and the Father are one and that as one we are kept through His word.

If we are one no one can be separated out. Not only that we see that we are not kept by our worthiness or by our works – we are kept by His word. His perfect word. There are very few things in the Bible that give me more confidence than to see that we are one and that we are only kept through His word.

That certainly doesn’t give me licence to do whatever I want. It gives me liberty to serve in gratitude. It give me the assurance that I can, because we are one with him, do what I am expected to do. I can live a righteous life. I can overcome. I can honour Christ. Because I am kept by the power of God. What joy it is to be one with each other and one with Him.

No comments: