Saturday 13 March 2021

Casting all your cares on Him

 

Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. – 1 Peter 5.6-7

 

Cares and concerns and the carkings of this world are a constant problem. These are the things that keep us awake at night and stress us out and hurt our walk with God. I hate it and I hate to admit it but these are the things that I still struggle with. I read ‘be careful for nothing’ but I still find myself full of cares.

 

Why is this an issue? I with I had a better excuse, but the answer is right here in this verse.

 

Ouch! I hate to even type it.

 

‘Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God.’

 

We I can’t be ‘careful for nothing’ and I can’t ‘cast all my cares in Him’ it is really because I think I could do it better. I think that I am the one who can solve my own problems. I think that I have to be the one to sort it all out.

 

That leaves no room for God to work. And because I realise that I can’t do it I worry about. In the process I ignore the God who says ‘I care for you.’

 

Came up with an outline seeing the whole section in context.

 

I was reading in 1 Peter 5 this morning and saw that wonderful wonderful phrase ‘casting all you cares on Him because He cares for you.’

I got to wondering why then is it so hard to do and discovered a couple of things in the context.

Casting our cares on Him means a humbling of self (v6)
Casting our cares on Him means recognizing that Satan wants to rob our joy and peace (v7-8)

Casting our cares means relying on the God who cares about us and will give us victory (v9-10)

It’s not just a matter of saying, ‘okay God here’s my cares’ and walking away. It means I need to humble myself to say that I can’t sort out those cares and that Satan will do all He can to convince me I can

No comments: