Saturday 20 March 2021

Add self control

 

But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. - 2 Peter 1:5-7

 

How many times do we tell our children that they are out of control of tell them to get it under control? Of course it happens a lot because they are children and self control is a trait that takes some maturity to develop. It can always be a battle to keep it under control.  

 

Me, I hate it when I lose control. There is no quicker way to ruin a friendship or destroy a home or ruin our testimony than to lose our heads and get out of control. I used to be terrible about this. Somebody would set me off and I would rant and roar and end up embarrassing myself.

 

I hate that. Over and over again I had to go back and aplologise for my miserable behaviour. Folks graciously forgave me and eventually I learned it was easier to just get control and save myself the trouble of getting embarrassed and then saying ‘I’m sorry.’ When I did that I was no better than a baby and I had just had to learn how important that was.

 

Adding self-control is a key virtue for the servant of God. I can undo years of testimony with seconds of losing control.

 

There is a lot more we could talk about with self-control, anger is only one aspect. But if we are going to be an effective witness it is vital that we keep the head no matter what comes our way. That come as we add virtue to our faith and as we add the superknowledge of Christ to our virtue.

No comments: