Sunday 28 May 2006

Thirsting after God

“As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.” - Psalms 42:1

I remember one time working in an attic in Alabama in August. A thermometer read 138F (59C). We were trying to work in short shifts so we would not get ill, but I had one little section I wanted to finish. As I did so I noticed that I had stopped sweating, and sure sign of heat stroke so I made my way to the ladder and down the steps. After resting for a moment I realised how thirsty I was. I could not walk, so I crawled to the nearest sink and all they had were tiny paper cups. My thirst was insatiable as I drank cup after cup of cool water. I was literally panting after water in my thirst.

As I remember that day I honestly cannot remember a time when I thirsted after God with such intensity. The picture the psalmist gives is that of a thirsty deer panting after fresh water. A deer, like all animals, will pursue water or die in the attempt. Man will kill for water.

How much so we really thirst after God. Is our desire for God all-consuming? Are we obsessed with knowing Him more.

Indeed, do we pant after God like a deer pants for water?

No comments: