Monday 1 May 2006

I laid me down and slept

“I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.” - Psalms 3v5

Sleep is a precious commodity. Everyone enjoys and good nights sleep and sleep deprivation can be debilitating if left unchecked. One of the greatest threats to sleep is fretting and worrying over what might or might no happen.

When David wrote this psalm was running from his son who was trying to take over the kingdom. His life was in grave danger, yet he was able to say that he laid his head down and night and went to sleep. How could he do that? How do you think you would sleep if you knew that the enemy was at the gate?

David knew the secret – “The Lord sustained me.” When the Lord sustains us we have nothing to fear. When he sustains us we can have courage though the enemy surrounds us.

The key to a good nights sleep is simple – remember that we are sustained by Him and therefore we have nothing to fear.

No comments: