Saturday 7 January 2017

Up to my neck

Save me, O God!
For the waters have come up to my neck.
I sink in deep mire,
Where there is no standing;
I have come into deep waters,
Where the floods overflow me.
I am weary with my crying;
My throat is dry;
My eyes fail while I wait for my God. – Psalm 69.1-3

I will praise the name of God with a song,
And will magnify Him with thanksgiving.
This also shall please the Lord better than an ox or bull,
Which has horns and hooves. – Psalm 69.30-31

Listen to the psalmist’s complaints.

I am up to my neck in the waters of trouble
I can’t stand up in the mire
I am overwhelmed with the floods of trouble
I am worn out with crying
I have lost my voice
I have lost my vision

I think most of us can identify. If we have lived any amount of time or had any real life experiences we know what it is like to up to our necks in trouble.

I wish I could say that after 40 some years of salvation I have never felt that way. I wish I could say that I have gotten over being choked by despair. I wish I could say that fear never overwhelms me.

But I know how the psalmist feels. So whatever he did I need to do when I get that way.

‘I will praise the Lord with a song and I will magnify Him with thanksgiving.’

I think this is the key to getting through those choking times. Instead of allowing ourselves to be overwhelmed we choose to sing praises and give thanks for who God is trusting that He is good and that He is doing what is good.

I can’t help but think of Peter who, after walking on the water toward Jesus, looked to the side and sank in the water. As he sank in the water he simply looked up and said ‘Lord, save me.’

No matter how bad it gets the answer is to look up, remember who our God is, and praise Him with thanksgiving in our hearts.

No comments: