Monday 23 January 2017

A day with the Lord

For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
Than dwell in the tents of wickedness.
For the Lord God is a sun and shield;
The Lord will give grace and glory;
No good thing will He withhold
From those who walk uprightly.
O Lord of hosts,
Blessed is the man who trusts in You! – Psalm 84.10-12

The world is certainly full of all sorts of allurements. So many of them try to draw our attention away from God. It reminds me of Vanity Fair in Pilgrims Progress. Christian is drawn away thinking that He is going to be able to find more satisfaction there that He did in the presence of God.

But he found out that there was no satisfaction in Vanity Fair. I remember times in my life and I remember things that allured me. Eventually I realises that there was no real satisfaction in those things. There was no peace there. There was no satisfaction and there was no joy.

I am finally getting to the point where I realise that the only place I find peace and contentment and satisfaction is not in the pursuit of the world, but when I am walking in sweet fellowship with God.

A day in the presence of God is better than a thousand days in the world. It is better to be a humble doorkeeper in His house than to dwell in comfort in the sumptuous tents of the wicked.

Why do I continue then to seek after the world and its ways? Why can’t I just rest in the comfort I find in God’s presence?

It’s because my flesh keeps lying to me trying to convince me that there is more satisfaction in the world than there is with my God.

But no, I need this reminder that the days with my God are far better than the time I spend in the world and may I seek out those days instead of my fleshly desires.

No comments: