Friday 6 January 2017

God puts us in families

A father of the fatherless, a defender of widows,
Is God in His holy habitation.
God sets the solitary in families;
He brings out those who are bound into prosperity;
But the rebellious dwell in a dry land. – Psalm 68.5-6

I have a good friend in our church who talks about relationships a lot. He is from a broken and abusive home. Because of that he doesn’t feel like he every had a family. As a Christian the issue of relationships is really a big deal, and it especially a big deal to my friend. We talk about it – a lot. I try to help him grasp the amazing truth that for God is a father to the fatherless, a defender to the windows, and the He puts His children in families.

‘I’m so glad I’m a part of the family of God’ is part of a great old gospel song. It speaks about love and sharing and ‘brother and sister.’ It is very much a celebration of God putting us in families.

Not every one is going to have a wonderful loving family with caring parents and best friend siblings. Sometimes earthly families are going to broken and disjointed like that of my friend.

God though provides a family for us with our brothers and sisters in Christ where we can find love and compassion and sharing and kindness and, if you will, familyship. Through the years I have found that love and sharing and compassion and family spirit in my church and it the fellowship of other believers.

God puts His children in families. No matter what our earthly birth families are like we can find true family in our spiritual brothers and sister and our spiritual parents.

Now you’ll notice we say “brother” and “sister” ’round here;
It’s because we’re a family and these folks are so near.
When one has a heartache we all share the tears,
And rejoice in each victory in this family so dear.
I’m so glad I’m a part of the family of God. . . .

No comments: