Friday 20 January 2017

My people will not listen

"Oh, that My people would listen to Me, That Israel would walk in My ways! – Psalm 81.13

Being a parent and a grandparent and a teacher I am one of those people who likes to be listened to. In fact, I expect to be listened to. When we try to instruct people we are truly trying to help it is not easy to have our advice or instructions or ideas listened to especially when we know it is the best thing to do.

Imagine then what it must be like when God’s people will not listen to Him. God's word and God’s work and God’s way and God’s wisdom are perfect. He never makes a single mistake when He teaches and instructs us.

Despite that so few are willing to listen. It is bad enough when the world does not listen, but think about how it is when God’s people won’t listen. We know He is our God. We know He has saved us. We know that His was must be best. But still we don’t listen.

God does not want us to listen out of selfish pride. We wants us to listen to Him because He knows what is best for us. He knows what we need. He knows that if we listen to Him all will turn out best.

Yet we still don’t listen. God says ‘I will never leave you or forsake you’ and we don’t listen. He says ‘I know the things you need’ and we don’t listen.’ He says ‘trust in the Lord with all your heart’ and we don’t listen. He says ‘I will provide all your needs’ and we don’t listen.

When we don’t listen we miss out on what God has for us. We miss out His blessing and we miss out on the peace that is ours when we trust Him.

O Lord, give me ears to listen and trust what we hear.

No comments: