Friday 27 January 2017

Keeping our prayers before Him

O Lord, God of my salvation,
I have cried out day and night before You.
Let my prayer come before You;
Incline Your ear to my cry.
For my soul is full of troubles,
And my life draws near to the grave. – Psalm 88.1-3

The psalmist here is in utter desperation. He is not seeing God working. He feels forsaken. As we read the rest of the psalm we find out that he never really sees God work, but that doesn’t change his commitment and his devotion to prayer.

If you read the whole psalm you see that it is just misery on difficulty on problem on situation on hard time. We don’t even get to see the results of the prayer. But that doesn’t stop the psalmist.

I have called out to You Lord.
Let my prayer come before.

I wonder how well you and I do when things are going badly and it still doesn’t seem like our prayers are ‘working?’ Do we keep on going? Do we keep on praying? Do we we trust God even when trust doesn’t seem to bear fruit?

Faith means that we just keep praying, even when we don’t see the results because we trust God more than we trust events and circumstances.

When our souls are full of troubles and we seem near the grave we just keep bringing our prayers to Him.

No comments: