Wednesday 10 June 2015

I serve a risen Saviour

I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. - Revelation 1:18

‘I am he that was dead, and is alive, and alive forevermore.’

I don’t know of many Bible truths that are more vital than the truth that our God is alive. Jesus doesn’t just say that He is alive here, but that He was dead and is now alive. That has extra meaning because it tells us that even though death was held Him Jesus has conquered it through His resurrection.

One of the first hymns I remember, from long before I was saved, is “I Serve A Risen Saviour.’ About fifty years later I still remember it clearly. It is usually an Easter song, but is a great reminder any day.

I serve a risen Saviour
  He’s in the world today.
I know that He is living,
  Whatever men may say.
I see His hand of mercy;
  I hear His voice of cheer;
And just the time I need Him
  He’s always near.

Chorus:
He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today!
He walks with me and talks with me along life’s narrow way.
He lives, He lives, salvation to impart!
You ask me how I know He lives?
He lives within my heart.

2
In all the world around me
  I see His loving care,
And though my heart grows weary,
  I never will despair;
I know that He is leading,
  Through all the stormy blast;
The day of His appearing
  Will come at last.

3
Rejoice, rejoice, O Christian,
  Lift up your voice and sing
Eternal hallelujahs
  To Jesus Christ the King!
The Hope of all who seek Him,
  The Help of all who find,
None other is so loving,
  So good and kind.


I am not even going to try and beat that. I serve the One who was dead, who now is alive, and who will live forever. I serve a risen Saviour – amen! 

No comments: