Sunday 21 June 2015

He could not prevail

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. – Revelation 12.7-9

There is a lot of mystery in the book of Revelation and there is a lot I don’t understand.

I do understand this though – Satan did battle against Michael and his angels and Satan could not prevail. He could not win. He didn’t have the power.

And the truth is that he can’t win now either because greater is the God who is in us that the devil who is in the world.

Decades ago there was a strange comedy sketch programme on the television. One of the characters was a guy who just popped up and said ‘the devil made me do it.’ I guess it was a little humorous in the context, but ‘the devil made me do it’ is no excuse for the true believer because the devil can’t make us do anything.

That is an amazing truth that we must grasp, especially in those dark hours. Satan really has no power because God lives in us and He is always stronger than any evil which may befall us.

So praise God that Satan could not overcome the saints of God around the throne. Thank God that he cannot overcome me as I trust my Saviour and my strength and power.

No comments: