Friday 2 July 2021

You make me sick

 

I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Revelation 3:15-16

 

These seem like some pretty harsh words from Jesus to Laodicea, but that church was a mess. This early on they had already become lazy and slothful in their work.

 

Jesus said to them ‘I know your works – you are not hot or cold. I wish you were one of the two.’

 

Then He makes it clear – ‘you are lukewarm and you make me sick.’

 

What? Did Jesus really say that? Have a look above.

 

In the old King James translation we have an even more graphic wording – ‘I will spew you out of mu mouth’ Jesus says.

 

I love my proper cuppa tea anytime. In the summer I love Alabama sweet iced tea. I savour them. I relish them.

 

But I hate lukewarm tea. I have literally spat it out of my mouth before. It made me sick.

 

Jesus says He would rather the church be hot or cold. If the church is on fire He can praise it. If it is cold, He can correct it, but if it is lukewarm, it is just gross. Lukewarmness kind of settles in.

 

And yet that seems to be the curse of the church today. Lukewarm believers are everywhere. We have so much to distract us and divert us that we just get lazy.

 

Let’s just remember how Jesus feels about that when we do get that way.

No comments: