Thursday 30 April 2020

Continue in prayer

Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving; meanwhile praying also for us, that God would open to us a door for the word, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in chains, that I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak. Colossians 4:2-4

One of the blessings about this virus mess is that it has taught me more about prayer than any sermon I have preached I have heard or preached or conference I have been to or book I have read. Our prayers have changed from a generic bless this person or that person. There are lessons here that I think we all need to to take to heart in our prayer lives.

Pray earnestly for me, Paul says, be vigilant, be thankful. Pray for an open door while I am in chains.

That’s the kind of prayer we all need from us all.

It is easy to get lax in our prayers when everything is going well. It is when crises or hard times come that we tend to turn to God. I want to every day pray more earnestly, with more vigilance, and with more gratitude than ever before. My prayer in the context is not about stuff I need or want, but for others. I need to be praying for open doors for all of us to share the gospel.

Most of are still in ‘stay at home’ orders. We’ve never had so many opportunities to pray as right now.

No comments: