Saturday 18 April 2020

Nailed to the cross

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. - Colossians 2.14-15

My sin, O the bliss, my sin, not in part but the whole, is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more.

Those are the words of a stanza from what is probably my favourite hymn; ‘It is Well with My Soul.’ I have a plaque in my office given to me by the youth group at the first ministry we served in here. It has the words to this hymn and at the bottom it has this verse.

If I think about the list of all my sins on paper I am afraid it would be quite a tome. It would go on and on and on page after page after page after page.

That’s kind of discouraging, isn’t it?

But no – not so much. Just about a week ago we celebrated Easter and we rejoiced in the fact that when Jesus went to the cross he bore my sins, became my sin, and nailed that terrible list to the cross so I need bear it no more.

Can you see why this is my favourite verse of my favourite hymn. My sin, all of it, every last sin, O the bliss and joy of this amazing and glorious thought, my sin, mine, is nailed to the cross, andI bear it now more because Jesus bore it for me!

Indeed, praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!!

No comments: