Friday 24 April 2020

Kill coveting

Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them. Colossians 3:5-7

Though we are saved by God’s grace and can only live for Him by His grace there are are things that we have to do. In this case over the next few verses we have a list of things that we have to put off and that we have to put on.

The first list are things to put off. Most modern versions use the phrase something like ‘put to death, but I like the KJV use of ‘mortify’ certain things.

Most of these are obvious bad things – uncleanness, evil passions, fornication, and things like that.

But one word pops up here that at first glance doesn’t really seem to fit the rest of this.

What makes covetousness worthy of this terrible list?

We may not see it at first, but this particular sin says a lot about my character. It says, in reality, that I really am not satisfied with what gives me or where He has put me. I compare myself with others, usually those who are ‘better off’ than me and wonder why I can’t have what I have!

Covetousness is a sign that I am not trusting God. It is a mark of being discontent with what I have or where I am or maybe who I am. It means that I don’t think God is doing enough for me. It is complaining about God.

What a problem that is if that truly reflects my heart and is not just working thinking.

Covetous thoughts are something that I need to ‘mortify’ when they cross my mind. My selfish flesh and even Satan Himself delight in causing me to doubt or turn from God – and being full on envious desire is sure to do that.

Paul said that he had learned to be content no matter what came his way – he could do that because he had learned to put to death his selfish desires and learned to not compare what he had or didn’t have to others.

Lord help me to slay my covetous thoughts and attitudes.

No comments: