Sunday 5 April 2020

Inheritance

For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy; giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light. - Colossians 1:9-12

The whole notion of an inheritance is kind of exciting – unless someone you love has to die to leave it. I had an inheritance one time that came from my mother’s second cousin. He was quite wealthy and us six children would split my mom’s share when it was all said and done. As time went by and the list of beneficiaries grew it cam out that I was going to get 1/104 of his estate. Then, lawyers cost and legal fees frittered away more and more. I did get a little bit of money, but it was kind of disappointing.

But we have a promised inheritance from God that is mind boggling. We share fully in the inheritance of Christ. That means that everything that is Christ’s I have a part in. Eternity, holiness, being in the presence, is all mine. My inheritance cannot be frittered away. It is secured by God. He is kept for me in heaven. It does not fade away. It is pure and undefiled.

That should give us great comfort to get through these times. I can know that no matter what happens here my eternity is secure. Whatever I may lose here I won’t lose any of my eternal blessings.

Praise God for the security of my eternal inheritance. One day this will be worth it all. I’m not only going to get 1/104th of it frittered away. Jesus is going to let me share in it all.

No comments: