Friday 1 May 2020

Using our time wisely

Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one. Colossians 4:5-6

Walk in wisdom toward those on the outside. Redeem the time.

I love when we just get simple practical advice from God’s word. Those of who are believers are living in a world mostly filled with those who have never trusted Christ. We see people like that every day. They are our friends and families and coworkers and associates and shopkeepers and people we see on our walks and officials we deal with and everyone we see everyday.

It is important that we don’t just take them for granted. Our time may be short. We need to redeem the time we have.

We all need wisdom in dealing with others. I need wisdom every day as I seek to interact with people I see on my canal walks. Some of these chats may be the only time I ever get to engage with them. It may be my one and only opportunity to help them come to Christ.

It is vital that I redeem the time. The pandemic is making people aware of their eternity and mortality. When this is all over people’s minds will go back to the way they were. We must redeem this opportunity while we have it. This is our moment to shine. Daniel Defoe wrote a novelised history of the Great Plague on London in the early 17th century. In it he wrote of the people being open to the gospel during the plague but going right back to their ways when it was over. I think we are seeing the same thing today.

God give me wisdom in every conversation I have. Help me to use this time wisely.

No comments: