Friday 29 May 2020

Spiritual leaders


And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves. – 1 Thessalonians 5.12-13

One of the blessings of the Christian life is that God always sends people on our way to teach us and help us grow in Christ.

As I look back over my life I think of many people that God brought into my life to teach and train and admonish me.

I guess the first of these were Preacher and Granny Watson. He pastored a church in Tennessee where Mary and I first got our feet wet in the realities of local church ministry. These two dear folks helped us get started in the ministry in very practical, day to day ways. They we like parents to us and grandparents to our kids. We got to see the goods and bands and blessings and trial of the ministry.

Our longest term pastor was Greg McLaughlin. We are still members of Calvary Baptist after about 36 years. He and his wife Shari were a blessing as we were allowed to serve side by side with them and to take part in virtually every aspect of church work.

I think of others examples too numerous to name.

None of these leaders were perfect, and I am glad for all that. All knew they were flawed men used by God to do his work. And yet all of them helped make me the man that I am.

These folks deserve our esteem and our honour. They teach and love and care for us. They strive to shepherd us and guide us.

It’s a tough job. Let’s make sure we honour them and support them and stand with them. Thank God for our spiritual leaders.

Let’s esteem them – in love.

No comments: