Monday 18 May 2020

Abound in love

And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love to one another and to all, just as we do to you, so that He may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints. - 1 Thessalonians 3.12.13

It seems like we can’t get away from the importance of love in our lives. I guess part of the reason is that when Jesus was asked the most important law of all He said, to put it briefly, love God and love others.

I think we all have a general sense of love. That’s good, we need to have a general love. I think we all want to love. But here Paul says he desires that the Thessalonians increase and abound in love toward each and to all. He then ties to holiness, which we will consider in a couple of days.

The longer we live the more our love ought to increase and abound.

I know as I have aged I have not always shown an increasing love, but I certainly have become more and more aware of the need to love. We can never stop loving more. There is always room for improvement. When we think we have learned how to love more that only means that we need to love more.

What gets in the way of loving others is my love of self and my focus on me. I don’t have to love myself any less because I love others – I am just told to love others like I love me. While I must remember my value to God if I put me first though I can’t put others first.

Keep growing in love. Look for new ways to love more every day. Then show that love in actions.

No comments: