Sunday 10 May 2020

Boldness

For you yourselves know, brethren, that our coming to you was not in vain. But even after we had suffered before and were spitefully treated at Philippi, as you know, we were bold in our God to speak to you the gospel of God in much conflict. For our exhortation did not come from error or uncleanness, nor was it in deceit. – 1 Thessalonians 2.1-3

Paul says here  ‘we were bold to speak the gospel of God in much conflict.’  What a challenge that is to me. That kind of holy boldness is something I rarely exercise. It is something I long for, but which is too often overridden with fear and timidity. I don’t want to be rejected. I want people to like me. Sometimes I let that override the truth of my love. My love ought to convict me to be faithful in preaching the gospel even if it does cause of offence. I don’t need to be offensive, but I do need to be bold.

For the last six months or so I’ve been praying for and working on this in my witness.
I’ve been asking God to open hearts and doors and for the boldness to at least talk about him and even to share the gospel.

But bold, really bold? I think not.

Boldness did not come easily to Paul either – he had to ask churches to pray for Him to be bold in sharing the gospel

The time is ripe. People are open. Oh Lord give me that holy boldness to share the most important news there is.

No comments: