Tuesday 19 May 2020

To walk and to please God

Finally then, brethren, we urge and exhort in the Lord Jesus that you should abound more and more, just as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God; - 1 Thessalonians 4.1

What does it mean to walk a walk that pleases God? Paul writes a lot about our walk. He says to walk in love and in the light and by faith and not like the world and as children of light and circumspectly and that is just what is on the top of my head.

I like the summary Paul uses here. He says we are to ‘walk and to please God.’

I think its simple enough to base our daily walk on this question. Have I pleased God in my life today?

This isn’t to be taken lightly even though it sounds so simple. We have the guidelines in the word of God. We are all mature enough to honestly look at our lives day by day and see how the two line up.

Have my attitudes pleased God today? Have my words pleased God today? How about my thoughts? Have I pleased God in the way I have dealt with family and friends? Have I pleased God in my attempts to share Christ?  

As we head into a new way in the strange new world I can’t let the strangeness change me. I need to base every choice I make today in this question – ‘will this choice please God?’

No comments: