Sunday 27 April 2014

The mind of Christ

Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, - Philippians 2.5

This idea of having a mind that puts other first is not the norm for us, but this challenge is even more difficult. I am going to look tomorrow at what it means – but just want to pause today with the notion that we are to have the mind of Christ.

What is this mind of Christ and how do we get it?

To answer that we need only to look at the life Jesus lived and the death He died.

Christ's mind is a mind of love
Christ's mind is a mind of sacrifice
Christ's mind is a mind focused on others
Christ's mind is a humble mind
Christ's mind is a holy mind

I am afraid that my mind is not a whole lot like that normally. I am glad that nobody else can see the kind of junk and nonsense that goes on in my mind. My natural mind does not lean toward love and sacrifice and humility and holiness and others. My natural mind needs training and instruction.

My natural mind needs Christ, not just at salvation or for church or for spiritual activities, but every single moment of every single day. It comes as I seek to follow the Spirit instead of my flesh. It comes when I set my affection on things above. It comes when I bring every though into captivity. It comes as I look to the invisible instead of the visible. It comes as I think on the pure and just and lovely and so forth. It comes as I focus on the cross.


May I seek the mind of Christ, not only on this Lord’s Day – but every moment of every day of my life. 

No comments: