Wednesday 16 April 2014

Growth

And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment, that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ,  - Philippians 1.9-10

Whenever we read Paul's letters to the churches we see a challenge for them to keep on growing. Our Christian lives are not meant to be stagnant. When we don't grow it sadly indicates that there is really no life, or perhaps there is something seriously wrong.

Here there are several things Paul prays for regarding the believers at Philippi. He prays that:

Their love would abound (more and more)
They would grow on knowledge
They would grow in discernment
They would know how to test for excellence
They would be sincere and without offence

I think these are goals that we should all keep on our radar. They are things that I know I need to be reminded about.

Is my love abounding the way it should - more and more and more and more?
Is my love more than just some touchy feely emotion? It must be based on a deeper knowledge of God and His word.
Is my discernment about right an wrong and the things I choose to do and not do improving and refining?
Do I know how to test the situations I find myself in to make sure that they are not just 'okay,' but the excellent thing to do? Okay should never be good enough for me.
Is my life one of sincerity that never causes offence to the cause of Christ?The question is not 'am I there?' but 'am I moving in the right direction?' 

No comments: