Monday 28 April 2014

No reputation

who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. – Philippians 2.6-7

All of us are at least a little concerned about our reputations. In a way that is good. Our Christian reputation backs up our witness to draw men to Christ. But this is not the kind of reputation Paul is talking about. This is a reputation which is built on making me look good. And sadly that is the reputation we worry about.

I like to be important. I like people to think well about me. I like to have a good reputation before people. But all of that is about me looking good.

Of course we are not talking about maintaining a good testimony, but having a reputation that glorifies self.

Jesus had all the glory of heaven. He lived in all the splendour. He sat with God. He was God. But He didn't think that was something to hold on to. He gave it all up. He took on the appearance of a man. Not only that He left the splendour of heaven and the throne of God to become a slave.

And all the while I miss chances to serve my Saviour because I might 'look bad' or be laughed at or be ridiculed. My reputation means more to me than honouring my God.


It's a shame, when I consider what He gave up for me. 

No comments: