Monday 14 April 2014

Confident

being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ; - Philippians 1.6

As the years have gone by I have learned there are certainly not a lot of things I can put my confidence in. I have learned I cannot put my confidence in my own abilities. I have learned that I need to be careful about putting confidence in men. I can't have confidence in my bank account or in my possessions. I certainly have no confidence in my government leaders. I don't have confidence in the world economy. I know I can't trust the few possessions I have.

Nearly twenty years of service in a slow and struggling ministry have taught me that I certainly have no confidence in my ability to be a great church planter or pastor or soul-winner or missionary.

In fact I know that there is very little I can have confidence in.

But I can have confidence in this - He who started a good work in me will perform and complete until the day of Christ.

While this can't excuse a lazy indolent attitude it does give me confidence that it is not about me and it is not up to me. When I got saved Christ began to do a good work in my life - and He is not about to give up on me and quit. He will keep on with me to do His good work in and through me until the day of His return.


Praise God that if I just stay faithful to my Lord and the work He has called me to do He will continue to perform His work, complete me as the man He wants me to be, and be waiting at the finish line as the author and the completer of my faith. 

No comments: