Thursday 17 April 2014

For the furtherance of the gospel

But I want you to know, brethren, that the things which happened to me have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel, so that it has become evident to the whole palace guard, and to all the rest, that my chains are in Christ; and most of the brethren in the Lord, having become confident by my chains, are much more bold to speak the word without fear. – Philippians 1.12-14

Things were tough in the early days of the church. The same religious leaders who had plotted and schemed and lied and deceived to have Jesus crucified were now determined to wipe out those of 'The Way.' And there was no greater target then their old compatriot Paul, the man they knew as Saul.

Not all the preachers liked Paul either, but more on that later.

Paul had been threatened and beaten and opposed and oppressed and lied about and arrested and imprisoned. Even as he wrote this letter he found himself bound in chains.

Now, if Paul were like most of us he might have very well had a little pity party pit. 'Poor little me. I am out doing all this preaching and serving and now I am under arrest. What good am I doing now? Why am I always in trouble and why am I always getting arrested?" True, he is 'only' house arrest, but it is still being bound.

But Paul didn't gripe and complain. He didn't feel worry for himself.

'All the things that have happened to me have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel.'

Then he tells us what has happened.

The palace guard, and all the rest of the guard, now know that he was in chains because of His witness for Christ. His imprisonment had given the other believers the confidence thy needed and now they were preaching the word with boldness.


What might have been seen as a disaster was turning out for good! If only we could take that same perspective when things don’t seem to go ‘our way.’ 

No comments: