Tuesday 22 April 2014

I will remain

And being confident of this, I know that I shall remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy of faith, that your rejoicing for me may be more abundant in Jesus Christ by my coming to you again. - Philippians 1.25-26

Paul pretty much had it figured out that he was going to stay, at least for a while. It wasn’t time for him to ‘go home.’ 

So while he was here he knew what he had to do. He couldn’t quit. He couldn’t roll over and play dead. He couldn’t just hang around and take it easy while he waited on Christ to take him home. 

‘I will remain and continue with you.’ 

Isn’t that a wonderful testimony? Can’t we see the kind of confidence and hope it gave to the Philippians? 

What a blessing. 

Paul was going to stick with them and that they continued to progress in their faith and that they would live joyful and abundant lives.  

I realise that this may not be the most important part of this passage but something speaks to me here. 

I really appreciate Paul's faithfulness and devotion to the church. I like the phrase 'I will remain and continue with you.' It expresses, to me at least, a character trait that we should all emulate.

As long as God would allow Paul to live he was not going to give up on these people or his ministry. "I will remain and continue' is a mark of faithfulness and faithfulness is the one thing that God expects from his servants. That does not necessarily mean that our place or type of service is not going to change, just that we remain faithful to serve. 

No comments: