Tuesday 8 April 2014

The helmet

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;  - Ephesians 6.17

No matter what happens we are going to be involved in a battle that affects our minds. Everything around vies for our hearts and our affections. Our minds are the great battlefield of our being. It is there that so many battles are fought. 

I know myself that all kinds of stuff goes on in my head. All kinds of thoughts go by all mixed up and confused and convoluted. It seems like just the time I decide and determine to focus on spiritual thoughts and prayer and meditation all other kinds of thoughts flood my mind. It seems like while I am out walking along a dwelling on some things about church or family or whatever weird and wacky things come across my mind. 

An author once wrote a book called 'The Battle for the Mind' and I think that is an apt description for what goes on in our head. The 'things above' vie with the 'things beneath' and it is up to us to decide where we  set our thoughts. 

This is where our helmet comes in. God has given us a helmet of salvation. When we get saved we have a change of mind and heart. Our salvation provides the Holy Spirit who gives us the ability to see things from God's perspective. 

So I need my helmet of salvation to protect my thinking and keep my perspective right. Thank God He provides Holy Spirit protection for my head. 

No comments: