Friday 11 April 2014

Boldness

and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. – Ephesians 6.19-20

I will admit something straight off the bat that when it comes to sharing my faith I am a coward. I am so ready to share and so desirous to share and know it is important and know it is what I should do and all that - but when is comes time to do it I am always scared to death. Now I realise that the problem is my own stinking pride and fear of looking bad or being rejected, but sadly that is how it is.

So when Paul shares this prayer request I really get it. I mean I REALLY get it. I don't have that natural boldness that some people have so when I ask people to pray I often ask them to pray for boldness to pen my mouth and share the mysteries of the gospel and that I might do it boldly (notice Paul uses the same word twice) because that is what I ought to do.

I don't really want to conjecture too much, but I have to wonder why Paul himself had to ask for boldness. Sure, chances are that no one is going to throw me in prison for my witness so I don't have that excuse - but I wonder if Paul was ever afraid to boldly share his faith. After all, who could blame him when we remember all that he went through.

I find some comfort in the fact that Paul asked prayer for boldness. It lets me know that I am not the only one who has to deal with a lack of such boldness. Paul surely had much more reason to lack boldness - but we share in the fact that we both want prayer for it.


So maybe those reading today would pray that utterance may be given men that I may open my both boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel and that I may speak boldly, like I should speak. 

No comments: